David Slattery Conservation Architects and Historic Buildings Consultants, Clonskeagh, Dublin 6 ++353 1 269 7357 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rutland Memorial, Merrion Square, Dublin 2
The Rutland Fountain is located on the west side of Merrion Square. It was erected in memory of the Duke of Rutland, the Lord Lieutenant, who died of Dublin fever in 1787 at the age of 33. The Fountain has been attributed to Francis Sandys and constructed by Arthur Darley, one of the stonemasons from the Custom House.
The Monument whilst originally designed as a fountain is in fact a finely proportioned architectural structure with its central Triumphal Arch and flanking walls and piers contributing to a substantial overall architectural composition. The Fountain as it now stands has had its central feature removed from the Triumphal Arch. This has resulted in a lack of focus in the overall composition. The decorative objects which remain include the medallions and urns by Elizabbeth Coade in 1791. The Fountain in its original form functioned as a supply of water to the poor.
Restoration carried out in 1975 during European Architectural Heritage Year included modifications to the Fountain and its layout and the erection of a section of railing which forms an enclosure from the public footpath.
Further Restoration undertaken in 2010 included the cleaning and repointing of the stonework, repairing and rebidding of damaged stonework, the fitting of lead roofs to the flanking quadrants, and the repair of the Coade stone features.